Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday head-bob and cookies

Today I got the head-bob from an incredibly fit blond bicyclist in spandex. We were both changing in the women's restroom out of our bike clothes into office-wear. I smiled back at her sheepishly in disbelief; it was like I was in middle school again and had just been invited to the cool kid's table. Me? Really? I am part of the biking club now?
See, the last few days I have more or less felt like a hippo on a rock, trying to roll myself to work.
I am not in shape and what makes it worse is that I am not consistent either. As you might have guessed from my earlier blogging, a lot of my time has been consumed with taking care of my car these days. It is my new tempermental teenager, so to speak, so I have been driving it to work so that I can dart off directly when the 4:30 bell rings to drive to some government office in King County (pick one, any one) and do more paperwork. Seriously, I think it was easier to apply for college, than register my vehicle in the state of Washington.
Anyway, I basically had to force myself back on the bike today. I am one of those people who probably look like they are dying as they are riding; face clenched, sweat beading around my hairline, and breathing hard like I am practicing my lamaze. It's beautiful I am sure.
(If you are interested in some real beautiful bikes- check out my brother's website. He is a bike builder in Portland, OR and does fantastic work: http://www.mapbicycles.com )
Regardless, I am at work now. I made it and am currently (and painfully!) aware that I will have nothing to do for aproximately 7 more hours and that the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies I made last night for a co-worker's birthday are sitting in the kitchen like little loosers at lunch break. The birthday boy is out of the lab today- it is his birthday right? Silly me. So I made a card to sit next to my toasty little lumps of buttery love that says "Eat me! Happy Friday!" It will be an experiment...let's see what happens.

No comments: